Thursday, August 30, 2012

Today's News & Noise (2012-08-30)


News:

  • The 6 Apple patents Samsung violated
  • Berlin's cozy new relationship with Beijing
  • Too close to state financing via the money press
    • http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/spiegel-interview-with-bundesbank-president-jens-weidmann-a-852285.html
    • Weidmann: But we all know that such actions do not solve the fundamental problems. Our actions are based on trust. Doing more and more does not always engender more trust. Over the long term, the central bank can only preserve trust if its actions conform to the mandate that it has been entrusted with.
    • Weidmann: At first glance, this of course looks like a good idea. But at second glance, it becomes clear that it leads to coordinated actions between the government rescue funds and the central bank. This results in a linking of fiscal and monetary policy.
    • Weidmann: I support the positions that I believe are appropriate as the Bundesbank president and a member of the ECB Governing Council. In doing so, I don't take my cue from the German government's position. That's part of being independent.
    • On Greece  Weidmann: Otherwise I doubt that the leader of another country in the program could convince his parliament to support additional austerity measures.
    • Weidmann: I can carry out my duty best if I remain in office. I want to work to make sure the euro stays as strong as the deutsche mark was.




Noise:



Share